Saturday, August 28, 2010

Got game?

No, apparently I don't.

Much to my dismay, I have discovered that I am not as mentally strong as I am physically. Somehow the two have said their goodbyes and gone their separate ways. I wish I knew how other people do it. How they find the last dregs of strength in a WOD when they need it to push through to the end. How the idea of quitting, or giving up in the middle, never occurs to them. The do or die mentality. How do they do it? How do I get there?

I really am a competitive person, but you'd never know it. I spent my childhood trying to keep up with my three older brothers, trying to beat them at everything. They were cut-throat with me too, no coddling, no letting me win. If I won, it was all me. And I did win sometimes, and when I did, I loved it! So what happened? Why'd I lose that competitive edge, and when?

I want to be one of those people that it never occurs to them to do anything except go balls out during a WOD. I need to find out how to get there. I need to work on my mental strength as much as I work on the physical aspects. Do I need a mentor/coach? Probably. Can I afford one right now? Nope. So I'm going to try and figure this out the best I can. I'm going to ask questions, I'm going to observe. I'm going to try and get to the bottom of this and figure out how to get the eye of the tiger look in my eyes. I want to be a contender, to succeed at this thing I love, called CrossFit. I want game.


No comments:

Post a Comment